I have just finished upgrading my Mythtv setup to Ubuntu 9.10 and mostly everything still works (I upgraded from 8.10). Luckily the only thing that broke was lirc and it was the old config pointing at the incorrect /dev entry. The biggest problem was when I played video from inside mythtv using mplayer the video locked up. It acted like it was paused, you could seek and the video would advance but it would never play.
After searching through forums and mailing lists I was unable to find an answer so I started looking into mplayer itself. If i used mplayer on it’s own while Mythtv was running the same problem would occur. If I exited Mythtv then mplayer functioned perfectly. I found a possible idea from the Ubuntu forums whereby someone else was having slight playback issues (no mention of Mythtv though).
The problem appears to be with the audio driver mplayer tries to use. On my system it comes up with an error about pulse (that is something to fix some other time). To fix this I told mplayer to use ALSA instead, and it worked!!
So to fix with MythTV go into the Setup -> Media Settings -> Video Settings -> Player Settings then set Default Video Player to
mplayer -fs -zoom -ontop -ao alsa %s
Alternatively you could just add
before the %s.
Good news! VMWare have decided to finally add support for Windows 7. I would say a little too late given the general availability of the RTM for the last couple of months.
The upgrade the VMWare ESX 4.0 Update 1 ran smoothly and all hosts came back to life after the upgrade as they should. Installation of the client on Windows 7 was also painless, and best of all it actually worked.
To anyone from VMWare who may be watching, it would be nice if you had some form of announcements mailing list so we could be informed of these updates being made available.
A while back I started getting interested in site’s that used API’s from several different sources to create what is known as a web mashup. “A mashup is a web page or application that combines data or functionality from two or more external sources to create a new service” – Wikipedia. There are plenty of really good examples of web mashups out there, if you are interested check out ProgrammableWeb’s site.
At this time I wrote my own craptacular mashup called The Gob Shite, this site was a mashup of Google’s YouTube, Google’s News feeds and a new API of my own called the TrendEngine. TrendEngine was developed using Google Hot Trends information and provided some level of stability to the constantly changing trend list. It does this by detecting reoccuring trends in the list and applying a weighting formula to them.
The latest in a relatively short line of annoyances with the upgrade to Windows 7 is the lack of support for the VMWare vSphere Client.
There are certain things that when it doesn’t work you wouldn’t be surprised. We all have that application that hasn’t been updated in years but we still need to use on a regular basis. I can somewhat understand why these things don’t work within a new operating system. But for something that gets updated on a regular basis to not work, that is a different story altogether and that really annoys me.
LJ Custom Menu Links Version 2.5 has been released to the WordPress Plugin Directory.
This release bring further customisation ability for those who need it. You can now take full control of how you want Custom Menu Links to operate, fully automatic integration or manual integration (modifying your theme for LJ Custom Menu Links).
- Fixed compatibility issues by adding the ability to disable the core wordpress override and manually add the LJ Custom Menu Links code to your theme
WordPress Plugin Directory: LJ Custom Menu Links